Emotionally Correct Portraits

 When I was working  at this shoot.  I  arrived late on the scene. There were a number of other photographers "working". I set my equipment up and  started shooting. This is one of the earliest shots that I was able to collect.  I had the exposure down, I had a pretty model and I had a fairly decent composition. What I failed to think about and the main reason for complaint on this picture is, was the picture emotionally compelling?  Portraiture is about capturing a  moment on a persons face that lets the  viewer believe he/she  has a deep insight into the subject.  Failing that,  the shot  can only have a passing interest photographically.    That takes time, understanding that it is more than snapping the button to draws the subject out.
Walking up and trying to do that without developing a repertoire of some sort will fail. To   begin to understand what you have to do to elicit the feeling is a useless endeavor if that is the only effort you apply and your captures will inevitably show it. Time is the great enemy  and I didn't want to "hold her up" as it were, the results is that the  capture failed in its most important task of letting the viewer have a look inside. Something  to ponder when your dealing with models with experience is that  you feel. they know what they are doing so I don't need to prepare them. I will just stand back here and shoot. That is being lazy and your photographs will show it, we need to make it a partnership and your collaboration will produce bear  better fruitage. That  in order to capture the "soul" you have to first take the time to see it.

Comments

Popular Posts