Boundaries... Breaking them


You always hear the you need to expand your boundaries. In photography this will only make you a better shooter. Its very easy to find your particular niche, that which you feel like you got a handle on and refine and refine and refine to make it better.  And there is so much we all can gain by looking at some of the pictures we took just a few months ago and asking ourselves the question is that the same shot I would take today and what what would I have done differently to make it a shade better.

But sometimes you need to go outside what you like, to go outside what your comfortable with. as the commentator mentioned you need to look at blogs of people you may not be that fond of not go back to that which you check constantly. Why? because its from the outside we get inspiration and a new look at what we have studied so long .

So vehicles are not something I am that fond of in the drooling machine lust that so many "car guys" have.  And frankly I don't know how to shoot them. but I thought this was a great exercise to get out there and try and apply some of the techniques and and ideas I use elsewhere to see if I can do something interesting with it.

 I ended up having a quite  a bit of fun in the adventure. Maybe they don't have the styling and the perspective that is typical and and maybe they are interchangeable with any picture in a magazine. But  the important part of this is that by going out there and doing it I got a chance to deal with issues that are not my usual concerns. like so much reflective lighting. Would I do it differently looking at these pictures in Lightroom? You betcha but  I learned it faster than I would have than sticking to my typical pattern  so this is how we grow by walking outside the familiar. Click here for the show

Comments

Popular Posts