Shooting Animals

I think that title taken the wrong way could get me in trouble with PETA.  But in the context of this particular blog I hope I am safe..... Well I happened to have visited the Zoo the other day and  the Aquarium and it really got me to thinking about the process.

 The keys to shooting great people pictures is the same with most animals. You aim for the eye because it helps to foster that connection you hope to emphasize with your audience.  You really want to try and shoot from the same plane as the animal which brings you in close. I think too often we find that  if we point it down at our target what happens is there is a "distance" that is built  up that  makes it look like  just a snapshot. What I believe most of us are trying to achieve is a sense that there is something " in there" with the creature. This  often being an emotional need from the photo that comes from  seeing into it as it were.

When they remind us of human characteristics there is a bond that clicks and draws us in.  So typically I try to shoot as "tight" as possible. Taking photos through glass and bars which is often the case  separates us from this bond so a good DOF choice can bridge the gap as it were and  breakdown the barriers.  Understanding the habitat and surroundings of the animal can  help us make sure that we include or remove those things that we feel  enhance or detract from the mood of the shot. Finally what really helps the people that take the great shots to differentiate their craft is their ability to  be patient and make the great shot. I have included a few shots here that I took at the Zoo and the Aquarium click here for a look.

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful picture I love jellyfish (from this distance).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I think the shapes are pretty amazing myself. I have seen them in the water so I can appreciate the distance comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts