Drinky Drinks.....

 Pictures of booze are a regular feature of any time that I travel.  Reason being that one of the hopes of the travel shot is a feeling of what was it like there. Food, Sights, Alcohol are all part of what was happening.  The excitement of seeing a glass of wine or a bottle of beer I think for most people is somewhat passe'. So the question really is around how it is presented.

I think context is crucial in this type of photograph. What the viewer wants to know is not so much as what was it you were consuming but to really think of  how did it feel.  Since you can't really get them to the same Blood Alcohol Content that you were at during this capture, what will have to suffice is a good look at the atmosphere.   This will tell the viewer what time it was, a clue to how much there was, and some idea of where it was. In many ways its like food photography but I think with the crucial difference being that the strength of food shots is primarily is the "potential"  of what you are about to consume part of the party with booze is how much have you consumed.

It's generally good form to still follow the same rule of photography with lighting and focus so I suggest the pictures at the beginning of the night tend to look better than later.  While you might feel its "realistic" to show jumbled shots it just comes off as a bad shot.

 I like this shot for various reasons such as lighting and the half empty drinks colors and the most importantly the wetness of the bar connoting it sees a lot of action. Because the drinks did not offer to me a very interesting  I thought instead of doing a straight coloration the enhanced color emphasized the "party" of the mood. I like a lot of things about this including the partial arm which lets you know there are people here and this is not a setup shot. This is helpful to make the scene alive but not change the focus. The POV is effective because it draws you into the story. So overall I am happy with the shot.  The greatest change I would make if I did this again is to get a little more side lighting to  emphasize texture and a little bit of change on the DOF. And yes I would have been a little more still if I taken it earlier.. :)

Comments

Popular Posts