Did you really just take my picture?

Capturing people in the background or on purpose is to a large degree a ethical question. Are they part of the shot or are the reason for the shot. I wish I could firmly come down on on one side of this issue or not but I can't if I  am honest.  Sometimes I take a shot because they are interesting, Sometime I pretend I am just a photojournalist and I am taking things the way they are and I am capturing people because they happen to be there.

 All this intense navel gazing that I have been doing of late  is perhaps a function of more than the simple pursuit of photographic  dreams. Perhaps there is a more coarse or more earthy desire, But that is the reality isn't it. Sometimes we take things with our heads in the clouds for the sheer joy or beauty of it, sometimes we take picture because it satiates something a little more base. Its hard to know sometimes. I think the journey is a better way of crystallizing the  purest essence of the moment and sometimes its still pretty muddy. The only thing I can say is to do the best at whatever we do when we do it.

 This shot was taken in Vienna. It was interesting to me because sometimes people come with these romantic motions of riding in a horse drawn carriage through these ancient city streets. Somewhere in the middle of the foggy romantic dream the is this guy trying to make rent on whatever people are willing to pay him to do. and that guy... that is the one I was taking a shot of enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts